Simply Bold Crochet Cowl FREE Pattern by Kristin Omdahl by Kristin Omdahl
Crochet this super simple one-skein project in the round, without joining rounds! Learn how to crochet in a spiral with simple and clever beginning and ending tips.
This is an example of a few things. First, it is a yarn substitution tutorial. I took a simple double crochet in the round cowl I designed in fingering weight yarn and D/3 hook and converted the pattern for a much larger gauge with worsted weight yarn and I/9 hook. Next, I decided to make the cowl a bit smaller as well. All of the math is spelled out in the video. And lastly, I also converted the pattern to be worked in a spiral instead of rounds, to avoid the joining and chaining where the rounds connect. This is a more seamless looking finished project and easy to do. This is also demonstrated in the video.
Follow along in Kristin’s YouTube video for even more tutorial help.
- 200 yds #4 medium, worsted weight yarn
- I/9 (5.5mm) double pointed needles, a short circular will work as well
- Tapestry needle or crochet hook for the band
- Finished size: 20” circumference
Simply Bold Crochet Cowl Free Pattern Instructions:
Ch 68 (or a bit longer to ensure it will fit over your head. Good idea to check first!)
Round 1: slst to join in a ring, ch1, sc in same ch. Hdc in next ch, dc in next ch. Dc in ea remaining
chs around. Do not join!
Round 2: dc in first sc from prev round, dc in hdc of prev round, dc in ea remaining st around. Do not join!
Rounds 3 – 19 (or until you run out of yarn): dc around.
Finishing: hdc in next st, sc in next st, slst in next st. Fasten off.
Hand wash, block to finished measurements and let dry. Weave in loose ends.
Kristin Omdahl is the best-selling author of dozens of knit and crochet books; designer of almost 1000 knit and crochet patterns; and producer of award-winning videos. You can join Kristin LIVE 5 days a week for The Kristin Omdahl Show on YouTube and browse through thousands of tutorial videos there, too. Kristin donates a portion of every sale to help survivors of domestic violence. Learn more about Kristin’s charity, Project Kristin Cares HERE.
- Shop Kristin Omdahl Crochet Patterns
- Shop Kristin Omdahl Knitting Patterns
- Shop Kristin Omdahl Books
- Shop Kristin Omdahl Courses
I would love to see your creations. Just as much fun as making these myself is the satisfaction I get from seeing my designs come to life and other knit and crochet fans wearing them too. There are now 2 ways you can share what you have done!
- I have recently added a wonderful new interactive section to the website which I invite you to take part in, it has been a smashing success and such fun so far. It is the new “Share Your Project” section. You, my creators, can upload images and descriptions of your creations to share with the ever growing community! To upload simply click here.
- If you want to continue the party, join the KO Community Forums on my website. It is 100% PRIVATE! You can start or join forum posts, and even direct message others, too. Join the KO Community forums HERE
Additionally, I host a livestreaming podcast, vlog or show weekday on my YouTube Channel called The Kristin Omdahl Show. You can join the audience and even ask me questions LIVE! I often do a show and tell, or quick demo and I always interact with the live audience. It is a lot of fun!
You can browse through over 1000 previously recorded episodes HERE: The Kristin Omdahl Show Playlist. Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get reminders when the next episode airs LIVE.
I look forward to seeing what you create!
One thought on “Simply Bold Crochet Cowl FREE Pattern by Kristin Omdahl”
Pingback: Simply Bold Crochet Cowl | Kristin Omdahl