Slow Cooker Homemade Yogurt FREE Recipe
In an effort to try to make as many easy and budget-friendly changes to healthy food in my house, I am constantly researching. Did you know that your body is filled with both good and bad bacteria? Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for your health. Most often though, when you buy foods and supplements with probiotics they are often weakened or dead by the time you consume them. Scroll to the bottom of the free recipe for more information about probiotics and your health!
I began researching different probiotic foods I can make at home. One of the easiest and cheapest ways I found was to make yogurt at home. If you are lucky enough to live near a dairy, fresher is better. The best I can find in my area is organic, grass-fed, whole milk.
What you will need:
1/2 gallon organic, whole milk
1/2 cup starter yogurt (either from a previous batch or store bought)
if store bought, make sure it is whole milk yogurt and plain (not flavored)
1. Pour the milk into a slow cooker.
2. Turn on low and cover.
3. Let cook for 2-1/2 hours.
4. Turn it off. Let cool for 3 hours (do not open lid).
5. Pour 2 cups of the warm milk and the starter yogurt into a bowl. Whisk together. Return to slow cooker.
6. Replace the lid. Wrap slow cooker with 2 towlels for insulation. It remains off!
7. Let it sit at room temperature for 8 – 12 hours.
8. Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
We make smoothies for breakfast every morning with this fresh yogurt. I add 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 banana and 1 cup water. This makes two servings.
Did you know 80% of your immune system is located in your digestive tract? Probiotics are bacteria that line your digestive tract and help your body absorb nutrients and fight infection. They help move food through the digestive tract. Some people claim they treat conditions like irritible bowel syndrome, diarrhea, exzema, urinary health, oral health and prevent allergies and colds. The first thing I noticed when I switched to homemade yogurt was an immediate change in my belly – the bloat was gone overnight.
Historically we had plenty of probiotics in our diets because of fresh produce from fresh soil and fermented foods (which was how we kept food from spoiling instead of preservatives).
Adding more probiotics into your diet could give you benefits such as: stronger immune system, improved digestion, weight loss, increased energy from production of vitamin B12 and better breath because probiotics destroy candida. And the list could go on and on. And the new studies coming out are showing probiotics to be even more miraculous for our health!
Shop Kristin Omdahl Yarns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Crochet Patterns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Knitting Patterns HERE
I would love to see your creations. Just as much fun as making these myself is the satisfaction I get from seeing my designs come to life and other crochet fans wearing them too. There are now 2 ways you can share what you have done!
- Share yours by joining Create. Share. Inspire on Facebook where you can interact with me as well as many other members who have a love of knitting and crochet just like you! It is a wonderful and safe place to share your photos of finished projects in my knitting or crochet patterns or yarns, and to see what others are making, too.
- I have recently added a wonderful new interactive section to the website which I invite you to take part in, it has been a smashing success and such fun so far. It is the new “Share Your Project” section. You, my creators, can upload images and descriptions of your creations to share with the ever growing community! To upload simply click here.
Additionally, I host a livestreaming podcast weekday on my YouTube Channel called Create Share Inspire Podcast. You can join the audience and even ask me questions LIVE! I often do a show and tell, or quick demo and I always interact with the live audience. It is a lot of fun!
You can browse through over 800 previously recorded episodes HERE: Create Share Inspire Podcast Playlist . Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get reminders when the next episode airs LIVE.
I look forward to seeing what you create!