How to Sew Soothing Eye Pillow filled with Lavender and Rice FREE Pattern
by Kristin Omdahl
I worked in a spa for a little while in college. One of the products they sold was en eye pillow filled with flaxseed and lavender. I was absolutely blown away by how soothing it was! Over the years, I have discovered that this type of products is also great for heating up in the microwave or chilling in the freezer for sore muscles, too! Depending on the size you make, it has many purposes. This is an incredibly fast project – makes a wonderful gift for just about anyone – and is easy enough for a beginner. What’s not to love?
What you will need:
1 piece of fabric cut 12″ x 10.5, shown in Day of the Dragonfly Quilting Fabrics by Kristin Omdahl
2 cups dry rice, flaxseeds, corn or wheat
1 TBSP dried lavender buds
Sewing machine and all normal accessories
1. Cut fabric to size: 12″ x 10.5″.
2. Press smoothly.
3. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together. Pin perimeter.
4. Sew along one short side, turn and sew along long side, turn, sew along short side, but leave 3″ open for adding the rice and lavender. Backstitch at the beginning and end.
5. Cut the corners, but do not cut into the seams!
6. Turn the bag right side out. Using a chopstick or knitting needle really helps to make the corners crisp!
7. Press smoothly. Turn the hem of the opening to match the rest of the seams.
8. Mix the rice and lavender together.
9. Fill the bag no more than halfway with the rice mixture.
10. Sew a 1/4″ top stitched seam along both of the short sides of the bag.
Kristin Omdahl patterns are for your personal use only and not to be used to create items for commercial gain. All Kristin Omdahl patterns are licensed for single use and remain the intellectual property of Kristin Omdahl. This pattern may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise.
©Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved
Shop Kristin Omdahl Yarns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Crochet Patterns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Knitting Patterns HERE
I would love to see your creations. Just as much fun as making these myself is the satisfaction I get from seeing my designs come to life and other crochet fans wearing them too. There are now 2 ways you can share what you have done!
- Share yours by joining Create. Share. Inspire on Facebook where you can interact with me as well as many other members who have a love of knitting and crochet just like you! It is a wonderful and safe place to share your photos of finished projects in my knitting or crochet patterns or yarns, and to see what others are making, too.
- I have recently added a wonderful new interactive section to the website which I invite you to take part in, it has been a smashing success and such fun so far. It is the new “Share Your Project” section. You, my creators, can upload images and descriptions of your creations to share with the ever growing community! To upload simply click here.
Additionally, I host a livestreaming podcast weekday on my YouTube Channel called Create Share Inspire Podcast. You can join the audience and even ask me questions LIVE! I often do a show and tell, or quick demo and I always interact with the live audience. It is a lot of fun!
You can browse through over 800 previously recorded episodes HERE: Create Share Inspire Podcast Playlist . Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get reminders when the next episode airs LIVE.
I look forward to seeing what you create!