How to Make Plant Based, Bite Sized Taco Cups with Homemade Pico de Gallo FREE RECIPE
by Kristin Omdahl
I love bite sized food for parties. And the more you can pack into the bite, the better! Bold flavors layer so beautifully in a small bite. This recipe uses my plant based meat alternative in place of the traditional ground beef base of a taco. If you prefer to use the latter, go ahead! If you are interested in an unprocessed, plant based, meat alternative, check out my recipe for it HERE.
These adorable cups are made from simple corn tortillas you can find at any grocery store. They are shaped in mini muffin tins.
And if you haven’t made homemade pico de gallo before, are you in for a treat! It is one of the simplest and most delicious things you can make homemade. I have had the pleasure of learning how to make it from Cuban, Guatemalan, Venezuelan and Columbian friends and this is my homage to them all. Everyone has an opinion on how to dice the veggies. For me, I prefer to use my Vidalia Onion Chopper because it gives me a perfect 1/4″ dice every time.
What you will need:
1 mini muffin tin
6 corn tortillas
1/2 cup prepared plant based, unprocessed meat alternative or cooked and seasoned ground beef
1 cup finely diced tomato
1 cup finely diced white or yellow onion
1/2 jalapeño, finely diced with seeds and membranes removed
2 TBSP finely chopped cilantro
2 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a biscuit cutter (or a mason jar lid will work just fine), cut 2 discs from each tortilla (you need a total of 12).
3. Wrap the corn tortilla discs in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Place each tortilla in a cup of the muffin tin, working them down inside.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Let cool on stove for 5 minutes before touching them.
7. Finely dice the tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeño. Mix in a bowl with the lime juice and salt to taste.
8. Leave alone for a few minutes to let the flavors marry.
9. Assemble the mini tortilla cups carefully! Enjoy!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF KRISTIN’S FREE RECIPES
Shop Kristin Omdahl Yarns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Crochet Patterns HERE
Shop Kristin Omdahl Knitting Patterns HERE
I would love to see your creations. Just as much fun as making these myself is the satisfaction I get from seeing my designs come to life and other crochet fans wearing them too. There are now 2 ways you can share what you have done!
- Share yours by joining Create. Share. Inspire on Facebook where you can interact with me as well as many other members who have a love of knitting and crochet just like you! It is a wonderful and safe place to share your photos of finished projects in my knitting or crochet patterns or yarns, and to see what others are making, too.
- I have recently added a wonderful new interactive section to the website which I invite you to take part in, it has been a smashing success and such fun so far. It is the new “Share Your Project” section. You, my creators, can upload images and descriptions of your creations to share with the ever growing community! To upload simply click here.
Additionally, I host a livestreaming podcast weekday on my YouTube Channel called Create Share Inspire Podcast. You can join the audience and even ask me questions LIVE! I often do a show and tell, or quick demo and I always interact with the live audience. It is a lot of fun!
You can browse through over 800 previously recorded episodes HERE: Create Share Inspire Podcast Playlist . Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get reminders when the next episode airs LIVE.
I look forward to seeing what you create!
One thought on “How to Make Bite Sized Plant Based Taco Cups with Homemade Pico de Gallo FREE RECIPE”
I am nnaking these for christmas eve, we alway eat appitizers. Thanks Kristin.