Easy Scone Recipe by Kristin Omdahl
This is an incredibly delicious recipe. The scones are beautiful, delicious and impressive to give as a handmade gift, too! You can vary this recipe to make them savory or sweet. Sweet scones are great for breakfast, brunch or dessert. Savory scones would make a great breakfast or lunch, too, served with a light salad.
Scroll below to watch the step by step tutorial video, too!
2 cups flour
½ cup brown sugar, or 2 TBSP for savory scones)
1 stick butter, frozen and grated on microplane
½ tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup heavy cream or buttermilk, or more if necessary
1 tsp vanilla extract (for sweet scones only)
1 cup add-ins like mixed fruit and nuts or ham/scallion/cheddar
Note: if using frozen fruit, keep frozen
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Shred frozen butter into a large bowl.
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together.
- Mix butter, vanilla, egg, cream and dry ingredients together.
- Fold frozen berries into dough.
- Form dough into a circular disc and cut into 8 pie wedges.
- Chill dough in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Brush scones with cream before placing into oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top. Larger scones would need longer cooking time.
- Drizzle icing over scones while they are still warm.
Store in airtight container for up to 3 days (but do not store until they are room temperature).
Note: They spread less if dough is very cold before entering oven.
Drizzle with vanilla icing:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar,
- 1 tsp vanilla extract,
- 1 TBSP heavy cream (this can be doubled if you like extra icing) 🥰