This knit hat pattern is a prime example of deceptively easy. This is a super quick project knit up with #6 super bulky weight yarn and US15 (10mm) knitting needles. And, the stitch pattern is really easy, perfect for beginners, and looks far more complicated than it is. In this knit hat pattern I used a mock cable stitch pattern. Even if you have never knit cables before, I am sure you can knit these faux cables!
You can make the Nightingale Knit Hat Pattern with any of the three types of knitting needles for knitting it in the round:
- 16 in circular knitting needles to knit in the round
- 47 in or longer set of circular knitting needles to knit in the round with the magic loop technique
- 1 set of double pointed knitting needles to knit in the round
What You Will Need:
- 200 yds #6 bulky weight yarn
- US 15 (10mm) knitting needles
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker
Lion Brand Yarn’s Re-Spun Thick and Quick, color Wisteria, 1 ball.
Gauge: 8 sts / 6 rounds = 4 in (10cm) after blocking in pattern.
Finished sizes: 18 (20, 22, 24) in head circumference, 10 in tall.
Instructions for the Nightingale Knit Hat Pattern:
CO 36 (40, 44, 48), join in a round, being careful not to twist the stitches.
Round 1: *K2, p2. Rep from * around. — 36 (40, 44, 48) sts
Round 2: *K1, yo, k1, p2. Rep from * around. — 45 (50, 55, 60) sts
Round 2: *K3, p2. Rep from * around. — 45 (50, 55, 60) sts
Round 4: *Sl1, k2, pass slipped st up and over the last 2 sts, p2. Rep from * around. — 36 (40, 44, 48) sts
Rep rounds 1 – 4 until hat is 8 in long.
Watch How to Knit the Nightingale Knit Hat Pattern with Magic Loop Technique and other knitting in the round options here:
Hat Crown Decreases:
Round 1: *K2, p2tog. Rep from * around. — 27 (30, 33, 36) sts
Round 2: *K2, p1. Rep from * around. — 27 (30, 33, 36) sts
Round 3: *K2tog, p1. Rep from * around. — 18 (20, 22, 24) sts
Round 4: *K1, p1. Rep from * around. — 18 (20, 22, 24) sts
Round 5: K2tog around. — 9 (10, 11, 12) sts
Cut yarn, leaving long tail. Thread tail onto yarn needle and slide through all rem sts. Cinch tightly to close, secure with a knot on the inside of the hat.
Weave in loose ends. Hand wash, block to finished measurements and allow to dry.
Kristin Omdahl is the best-selling author of dozens of knit and crochet books; designer of almost 1000 knit and crochet patterns; and producer of award-winning videos. You can join Kristin LIVE 5 days a week for The Kristin Omdahl Show on YouTube and browse through thousands of tutorial videos there, too. Kristin donates a portion of every sale to help survivors of domestic violence. Learn more about Kristin’s charity, Project Kristin Cares HERE.
Shop Kristin Omdahl Books
I would love to see your creations. Just as much fun as making these myself is the satisfaction I get from seeing my designs come to life and other knit and crochet fans wearing them too. There are now 2 ways you can share what you have done!
- I have recently added a wonderful new interactive section to the website which I invite you to take part in, it has been a smashing success and such fun so far. It is the new “Share Your Project” section. You, my creators, can upload images and descriptions of your creations to share with the ever growing community! To upload simply click here.
- If you want to continue the party, join the KO Community Forums on my website. It is 100% PRIVATE! You can start or join forum posts, and even direct message others, too. Join the KO Community forums HERE
Additionally, I host a livestreaming podcast, vlog or show weekday on my YouTube Channel called The Kristin Omdahl Show. You can join the audience and even ask me questions LIVE! I often do a show and tell, or quick demo and I always interact with the live audience. It is a lot of fun!
You can also Refer-A-Friend and get rewarded, too! Learn more HERE
I look forward to seeing what you create!